Tuesday, August 17, 2010

My tiny town


My family moved to Homer, Alaska, 11 years ago, when I was barely one year old. ever since then, I have lived in Homer.

I love the tiny town I live in. All my old memories are from this place, and I can't ever imagine leaving it. Homer is forever inside of me. It's my childhood. When I go on vacations with my family, and we're in the city, it feels so strange. So many strangers, and so few friendly smiles. So many people are in a rush and don't take the time to say "hello" to those passing by.

just so u know how different my town is to the city, I'm giving some examples.


In a city: You always have to worry about locking your doors of your car and your house, and about people stealing your belongings.
Homer: Most people keep their doors unlocked, and don't worry about such things. It's extremely rare to have someone drive off with your car or steal something :)

In the city: you hardly run into someone you know in the grocery store or post office
Homer: is the exact opposite. It's extremely rare not to see someone you know when you're doing errands around town.

In a city: there's so many people who follow the trends. It kinda irritates me a tiny bit, because people just don't look unique.
Homer: People dress funky and there's freedom to be unique and artistic.

In a city: Cars look all new and expensive, and extremely clean.
Homer: 2 thirds of the cars in Homer are covered and dust, but we just don't care. I think we wash our cars 8 times a year :P

In a city: usually people have one job
Homer: several people have at least two jobs!!


Do you see what I mean? The city is so different from the small town I live in. There's so much more freedom to be who you want to be.

I think I'll stay in Homer forever.



No comments: